Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Questions to Ask a Wedding Photographer (and my answers)

Hiring a photographer is a big deal. I know, I know - I'm a little biased. But think about it - you are entrusting the memory of your day to someone you barely know. You are trusting them to catch the emotion, the moments, and the details so that you have them for generations to come.

I am often really surprised by the questions I don't get asked, that I feel like I really should be asked. I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that while I spend hours and hours researching what goes into good wedding photography now, when it came time to hire someone for my own wedding I arrived with no idea about what to ask or to look for. So, here you are: a list of questions you should consider asking during a consultation (and why!), plus my answers in italics.

1. Can I see a whole wedding that you've photographed?
This is very helpful. Anyone can cull together a dozen photos and make them look fabulous. Looking at an entire day through the perspective of your photographer will really help you get an idea of what you'll be getting as your finished product.

I'd love to show you a whole wedding! When brides and grooms ask about this, I generally give them the password to my online proofing gallery, where they can browse through hundreds of pictures from a single event.

2. Will you be the one actually photographing my wedding?
Occassionally, a studio employs more than one photographer, and may send any one of them to the wedding.

If you book me, it's me who will show up.

3.Do you have back-up equipment?
This is such an important question. Let's face it - gear can break. Even fabulous, professional, expensive, brand-new cameras. I know people this has happenned to - and let me tell you, they were happy to have those backups there! Your wedding happens once. You can't reschedule it because the shutter on your photographer's camera broke. Be sure whoever you go with has a spare!

I bring a backup of all the crucial equipment you need at a wedding - that means at least two cameras, two flashes, multiple lenses, extra batteries, and lots and lots of memory.

4. Are you registered with the state? Insured?

Photography has exploded as a business in recent years - which is great! It also means that a lot of people decide to start a new business, advertise, get some gigs and don't really do things by the book. Some venues will not let your photographer work without proof of insurance. Insurance also helps to protect you from any sort of liability, should an accident occur. It also shows that your photographer is serious about doing things the right way - and the legal way.

Yes to both!

5. If there is an emergancy on the day of my wedding, who will photograph it?
This is also very important. It's important that your photographer be able to reassure you that he or she can arrange for another quality professional to be there.

I have several area photographers I have discussed this possibility with. If something terrible were to happen and I were unable to make a wedding, one of them would step in. If there is enough time before the wedding, this would go to the bride and groom for final approval. If they don't approve the new photographer, they're entitled to a full refund.



6. Do I have the option to buy the digital files?

Some photographers will allow for this, some won't. If this is important to you, be sure you know beforehand what your photographers policy is.

I personally feel like this is important. I give everyone the option to buy them, and they are included standard in my top two packages.

7. What is your approach on the day of wedding?

It's fairly likely that you can get a feel for this by looking at the website. Are the pictures mostly posed? Or are there lots of candid "moment" shots? It helps to get a good idea of how involved your photographer may be during the day by talking about this, though. Especially be sure you are on the same page regarding the ceremony. Do you prefer no flash? Do you prefer the photographer to stay back and out of the way? Be sure your thoughts on this match up!

I approach every wedding a little differently, but generally take a more candid approach to the day, looking to capture the little moments, the emotion, and the details without being intrusive. I want your day to look like it felt, when you finally go back over the images. One thing I feel is very important is staying out of the way during the ceremony, using flash as infrequently as possible (and often not at all), and keeping movement to a minimum. The ceremony is about you as a couple, and your commitment to each other. You will get beautiful pictures of the ceremony, but people will remember the ceremony - not the photographer getting in their way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seeing this list of questions was so helpful! I am researching photographers for my wedding and feel clueless about what to ask besides "How much does it cost?"! Thank you!